Presentations and Interviews
- April 2021. Invited Panelist. “American Theater: History and Current Landscape.” Speaker Series of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow managed by the Forum for Cultural Engagement.
- March 2020. Invited Talk. Looking Back to the Future: 20 Years of A/P/A Studies in the Five Colleges. Smith College, Northampton, MA. “Acting Asian: Theatrical Makeup and the Technology of Yellowface.”
- November 2019. Invited Talk. The Worlds of David Henry Hwang Symposium sponsored by Illuminations, University of California, Irvine. “The Many Faces of DHH: David Henry Hwang and Asian American Theatre.”
- March 2019. Invited Keynote. Triangle East Asia Colloquium, Transnational Korean Cinema & Media Conference. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. “Korean Diaspora and the Moebius Strip.”
- February 2019. Invited Lecture. Thomas Langford Lecture, Duke University. “History of Yellowface in the U.S.”
- February 2019. Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Theatre and Drama Annual Distinguished Lecture, Northwestern University. Evanston, IL.
- March 2018. Theatre History Symposium Respondent. The 39th Annual Mid-American Theatre Conference. Milwaukee, WI.
- July 2017. Invited Lecture. English Department, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. “The Theatre of David Henry Hwang.”
- July 2017. Invited Panelist. Korean Diaspora Festival Symposium, National Theater Company of Korea.
- April 2017. Invited Panelist, James Gallery/Center for the Humanities New York City. “Performance, Race, Objects, and Time/Temporality.” Paper title: “The Archetypal Eurasian and Yellowface Makeup: The Material History of Imagined Asianness and Whiteness.”
- March, 2017. Invited Lecture. Institute for Korean Studies, Ohio State University. “Korean Avant-Garde Theatre and Sung Rno’s Yi Sang Counts to Thirteen.”
- July, 2016. Invited Participant, Interweaving Performance Cultures, Freie Universität, Berlin, Germany. “Performance Related Concepts in Non-European Languages – Korean.”
- November, 2014. Invited Lecture. Department of Theatre and Film, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea. “‘Korean American Playwrights.”
- November, 2014. Invited Lecture. Department of Drama and Theatre, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan. “The Theatricalized Body of Bruce Lee in David Henry Hwang’s Kung Fu.”
- October, 2014. Invited speaker. National Asian American Theater Conference and Festival. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. “Home: The State of Asian American Theatre.”
- April, 2014. Invited Lecture. School of Drama, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. “The Theatricalized Body of Bruce Lee in David Henry Hwang’s Kung Fu.”
- March 2013. Invited Lecture. Asian American Theater & Performance Studies Symposium. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. “All the Stage’s a World: The Organization of International, Multicultural, and Global Theatre Companies in the U.S.”
- November 2011. Invited Lecture. The 19th Hahn Moo-Sook Colloquium in the Korean Humanities: “Staging Korea: Korean Theatre in Search of New Aesthetics.” George Washington University. “‘Remember to Forget’: A Study of the Family in Contemporary Plays from the Korean Diaspora in the U.S.”
- June 2006: Invited speaker. Next Big Bang: The Explosion of Asian American Theatre, a conference sponsored by the East West Players, Los Angeles. “The Dynamism of Aesthetics in Asian American Theatre.”
NPR’s Code Switch
May 10, 2017
The New York Times
March 17, 2018